Mike
Federspiel
4 December 2013
English-12 3B
Photo
Reflection
As I saunter toward the beach, senseless seagulls cackle
above me. The minute I hear the crashing of the waves, I make a beeline to the
shore. The scorching sand flies behind me as my brother, sister and I race
toward the rippling ocean. We jump in; the icy wakes chills us down
instantaneously.
In awe of the sights and sounds of this magnificent
California beach town, I bathe in its saltiness. The surfers paddle their way
out into the horizon and wait in anticipation for their next exciting excursion
back to shore. Little kids structure masterpieces with nothing more than a
shovel, a bucket and a few sea shells found floating in the shallow waters. My
head swivels as I hear the thunderous slap of a volleyball being served. Back
and forth, back and forth the ball soars, until a diving player reacts just too
late. A point scored for the blue team. I visualize my mother in the distance,
repeatedly snapping her camera, ensuring she takes the perfect shot. The
screams of the rollercoaster riders dominate my ears. I glance in the
direction, just as the coaster descends into its hundred foot, near death fall.
Sweet cinnamon funnel cakes and buttery popcorn scents infiltrate my senses
with the overwhelming need to gorge. While silencing that need, my ears rejoice
again with the joyous sounds of a carnival on the warm, sunny day.
Sitting on the beach, taking it all in, I realize this is
the perfect getaway. Ideal weather, family time, and the big, blue Pacific,
make me idealize a perfect life. Before we leave, I grab a stick and mark my
territory by inscribing my name. I will be back, one day soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment